Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Gaultier, the artist


I was having a really bad start to my day this morning, it was gloomy and gray and things just weren't going my way! So, I knew that going to the Gaultier exhibit would definitely lift my spirits and boy was I right! Honestly, my cure for a bad mood, go look at some fashion!

The exhibit featured 100-or-so pieces from Gaultier's creations over the years. Some worn by Madonna, Dita Von Tesse, and many more. It opened my eyes to Gaultier as not only the designer but as a true artist. Gaultier does not see garments as having a gender, boundary or as confined to a particular modelesque figure.




Worn by Dita Von Tesse

In true Gaultier style, this exhibit was not just mannequins of beautiful creations. It was an interactive process. Many of the mannequins had a projector hitting the face making them look incredibly real. Many of them were singing, talking, speaking non-sense. At some point, it was actually a little freaky having mannequins smile at you and stare at you from across the room!

Body suit showing all of the inter workings of the body!




Worn by Sarah Jessica Parker at the MTV awards


The exhibit was split into 4 parts showing all the different inspirations of the designer's life. From the clothes as second skin, to punk rock, to Parisian to ethnic meats urban. The designer has been pushing the envelope throughout his professional life. This exhibit puts him on a whole other level placing him in the stool of artist of fashion in addition to fashion designer.


I want these!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow my blog with bloglovin